New Forum Design

Any new non-update information about MCcomix.com will be posted here. Do you have a question about the operation of MCcomix.com? This is where to go for answers.

New Forum Design

Postby madcap » September 16th, 2009, 3:06 pm

I have to admit, I'm not wild about these new forums. I think they're a little hard to read, but I believe a lot of that may have to do with the color scheme. Does anybody else feel this way, or am I alone here? :P
madcap

Re: New Forum Design

Postby Akonkid » September 16th, 2009, 3:25 pm

Nah, you're not alone. I think we were all just used to the older layout that it'll take some getting used to, but the gray on black stuff is pretty hard on the eyes, IMO. It's also difficult to get back to the main galleries from here, unless I'm overlooking any off-to-the-side links out of the forums.
If she would just do what I asked, I wouldn't need to use mind control!
Akonkid

Postby madcap » September 17th, 2009, 9:30 pm

I don't know who makes these decisions, but I think having a little color on these forums would REALLY help! The whole black, white and gray is just a bit too much of a strain on the eyes.
madcap

Postby mkmngr » September 18th, 2009, 3:16 am

Having just delivered a major programme of change for a Government department, including a number of websites where accessibility is crucial, I've followed this debate with interest.

An important aspect of a good website is the ability of ALL users to see the material clearly. A clear contrast between the text and the background is fundamental to this success.

Given the nature of the subject matter on this website, I actually find that clarity of vision against the black despair of the enslaved mind, is actually quite appropriate! The layout of the forum is clear, crisp and attractive. PLUS, it looks smarter than the old fora on HIPComix.

But please, whatever you change, avoid the temptation of "silver on grey/gray" which I saw on one atrociously-poor website recently. Not even a young airline pilot would have been able to read that clearly.

Just one reader's view....
Mike
mkmngr

Postby creativeguy » September 18th, 2009, 4:36 am

I run several forums as part of the communities that I've built around some web based games I've constructed. The forums look fine for the most part IMHO. Though a suggestion that maybe plausible is to be able to have choosable skins for the forums. I am not sure the phpBB has that capability as I use a different one with the capability. However, as the site has just started might I suggest we give the poor forum administrators some time :) Managing forums or a community is somewhat like herding cats, very time consuming, and I am sure they have a lot of other pressing items behind the scenes with the site and RL.

My 2.5 cents.

creativeguy
creativeguy

Postby MacroLass » September 18th, 2009, 9:42 am

The design on HipComix is hideous. On my home computer (which has a darker gamma setting) I can't read anything on the site during the day.

I like this design. Keep it.
MacroLass

Postby jpeger » September 18th, 2009, 10:37 am

creativeguy wrote:I run several forums as part of the communities that I've built around some web based games I've constructed. The forums look fine for the most part IMHO. Though a suggestion that maybe plausible is to be able to have choosable skins for the forums. I am not sure the phpBB has that capability as I use a different one with the capability. However, as the site has just started might I suggest we give the poor forum administrators some time :) Managing forums or a community is somewhat like herding cats, very time consuming, and I am sure they have a lot of other pressing items behind the scenes with the site and RL.

My 2.5 cents.

creativeguy

In the user control panel there are several "themes" you can choose from. We defaulted to the dark style to match the sites design.

Jpeger.
jpeger
Site Admin

Postby creativeguy » September 18th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Thanks jpeger I haven't looked over the forum in detail on the user control side, then again I don't have an issue with the current default skin either ;) But there you have it folks look at the available themes and the like and you can change it to fit your color preferences ;)
creativeguy

Postby madcap » March 16th, 2010, 9:56 pm

My forum theme seems to have reverted to the original that I did not like and now I cannot for the life of me find anything under the "User Control Panel" that will allow me to change this. Am I just forgetting where that setting was, or has the option gone away?
madcap

Postby Akonkid » March 17th, 2010, 9:10 am

Which theme did you use? Mine is working just fine, but I haven't experimented with others in awhile.
If she would just do what I asked, I wouldn't need to use mind control!
Akonkid

Postby ashleychloroformed » March 18th, 2010, 2:51 am

The theme is nowhere to be found :o
ashleychloroformed

Postby madcap » March 18th, 2010, 3:15 pm

I don't remember the name of it, but it's the one they use over at Hipcomix. I can't even find an option to change the theme anywhere anymore, so I'm not sure if I'm just not seeing it, or if it was removed.
madcap

Postby Doctor Robo » March 21st, 2010, 9:36 am

madcap wrote:I don't remember the name of it, but it's the one they use over at Hipcomix. I can't even find an option to change the theme anywhere anymore, so I'm not sure if I'm just not seeing it, or if it was removed.

It wasn't intentionally removed, at least not by us. We're looking into it and will hopefully have an answer for you soon.

- Doc
Doctor Robo

Postby jpeger » March 21st, 2010, 2:16 pm

I accidentally toggled off users ability to change the themes. I was trying to reset everyone's theme back to default because I found an error in several of the themes that made them incompatible with 3.05 (Seemed easier and less invasive than going into everyone's profile).

I didn't realize that that would permanently reset everyone back to default, and lock them there permanently. Please accept my apology. :?

The following themes are available at McComix.com.

prosilver
Hermes
proDark (Default Theme)
subsilver2
Iconic_Dark
blueSilver

If there is any other theme anyone wishes installed, just send me a link to the download page privately to admin@hipcomix.com and I'll be happy to install it for you. I know this is a home for most of you, so I'll try my best to make it so you can enjoy it. Themes will need to work with PHPbb and work for version 3.0.5 or 3.07 which we will be upgrading to after 3.07 clears pre-release (Beta).

Jp.
jpeger
Site Admin

Postby madcap » March 21st, 2010, 10:19 pm

Awesome. Thanks jpeger!
madcap

Return to MCcomix Questions and Answers