Okay... Resources

Do you have a question about writing, drawing, or rendering comix and stories? Would you like to learn more about the process of creating sequential art? Leave a message here and start a discussion. Who knows what you'll learn!

Okay... Resources

Postby creativeguy » December 8th, 2010, 3:07 pm

Now I have finally gotten somewhat back on track to learn how to use Daz3d ... I have purchased some models and I am starting to get some of the basics. I however realize that that I most likely need a TON more content in terms of hair, eyes, etc, to differentiate the models I have a bit further.

Any suggestions for a good free resources? I have the ones from Daz3d's site but I'm looking for ways to save on the wallet a bit...

Also, I have a concept for a comic but I am looking for a particular morph or content of a half spider, half women for example... any thoughts on how I can do that or suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!
creativeguy

Re: Okay... Resources

Postby The_Drake » December 8th, 2010, 5:49 pm

Okay.

Free resources are great and there are lots of good places you can get them such as Renderosity.com and ShareCG, but you have to do so responsibly; each one will have a license agreement associated with it, which dictates where it can and cannot be used. Be sure that when you snag resources you are snagging ones that can be used here without violating the agreement as laid out by the creator.

Besides models for poser/daz3d you will also need a moderate graphics program. The entry version of Photoshop, or something similar. I use Paint Shop Pro (Currently Corel) which I have been using in the various version for years now and am very pleased with. I also use Photoshop Elements 8 and a few other programs when I need a particular graphic feature that they excel in. If you are on a budget, GIMP is free, and while not as polished, is a functional tool it its own right.

Learn to make templates. I created page layout templates for my comics and keep them as a library, adding new ones as I need them. By having them, you save a lot a time that would be otherwise wasted. Template your cover page, or elements that identify your work.

Get a word processor and use it. It is way too easy to write dialog balloons on the fly, use of word processor will help you avoid gross spelling and grammar mistakes. Errors still creep in, but when you are called to write antipodean or antidisestablishmentarianism , you will be glad to have it.

Read about the art of comics, Scott McCloud's books are a great resource. Understanding Comics is worth your hard earned and will get you thinking about every aspect of your production and will help you grow your work.

Get proofreaders who you trust to go over not only the text, but the content. If you look at images too long the obvious mistakes become invisible to your eye. A second set of eyes, or a third can fix the little things allowing you to produce a better final product.

Finally, produce work. Even if it is just for practice. Don't worry about perfect. You will learn a lot by doing. You will make mistakes, but you will be able to see a steady progression in the quality of your work.

Okay... that was longer than I expected. Good luck! I look forward to seeing what you produce.

Drake
The_Drake

Re: Okay... Resources

Postby creativeguy » December 9th, 2010, 5:17 pm

The_Drake wrote:Okay.

Free resources are great and there are lots of good places you can get them such as Renderosity.com and ShareCG, but you have to do so responsibly; each one will have a license agreement associated with it, which dictates where it can and cannot be used. Be sure that when you snag resources you are snagging ones that can be used here without violating the agreement as laid out by the creator.

Good call. I am looking over Renderoisity and ShareCG and reading the license agreements... I wasn't reading them that closely but I haven't gotten to installing them as of yet. I may purchase a few more packages from Daz3d and these sites as well to fill in some gaps. Thanks though I hadn't really looked in detail at the downloads as of yet :)

Besides models for poser/daz3d you will also need a moderate graphics program. The entry version of Photoshop, or something similar. I use Paint Shop Pro (Currently Corel) which I have been using in the various version for years now and am very pleased with. I also use Photoshop Elements 8 and a few other programs when I need a particular graphic feature that they excel in. If you are on a budget, GIMP is free, and while not as polished, is a functional tool it its own right.

When I first started I don't know 9-12 months ago with daz3d I quickly realized that I needed to get a feel for graphics art ... so I have been working with GIMP at the moment for some time and posted most of that work at creativeguy59.deviantart.com (if at all interested). I found it has helped a great deal. It also underescored that I really needed to look again into 3d artwork creation.

Learn to make templates. I created page layout templates for my comics and keep them as a library, adding new ones as I need them. By having them, you save a lot a time that would be otherwise wasted. Template your cover page, or elements that identify your work.

I did purchase a licensed version of Comic Life for the template comic book style... not sure if that will be good enough to start or if I will need to come up with my own :) Any thoughts would be helpful :)

Get a word processor and use it. It is way too easy to write dialog balloons on the fly, use of word processor will help you avoid gross spelling and grammar mistakes. Errors still creep in, but when you are called to write antipodean or antidisestablishmentarianism , you will be glad to have it.

Read about the art of comics, Scott McCloud's books are a great resource. Understanding Comics is worth your hard earned and will get you thinking about every aspect of your production and will help you grow your work.

Both great suggestions and thanks I'll do both of those things.

Get proofreaders who you trust to go over not only the text, but the content. If you look at images too long the obvious mistakes become invisible to your eye. A second set of eyes, or a third can fix the little things allowing you to produce a better final product.

Good point I'll have to find some people to torture.

Finally, produce work. Even if it is just for practice. Don't worry about perfect. You will learn a lot by doing. You will make mistakes, but you will be able to see a steady progression in the quality of your work.

Okay... that was longer than I expected. Good luck! I look forward to seeing what you produce.

Drake

Thanks for the in depth answer it was very helpful, I will be producing test works relatively soon I started that yesterday as I figured out how to export a render from Daz3d... I'm having more of an issue with applying textures (or knowing which ones can be applied) but I did get a good feel for how to adjust things ... now if I can get enough hair variations and other aspects going and figure that out... I'll be golden... Mostly now I am finding I need scenes and props ...

I believe my intent is to write out the storyline and world for one or two concepts I have and find what type of models, clothing, creatures, props, and scenes I will need and work from there... I hope to have something in the coming weeks to share.

Thanks again!
creativeguy

Return to Making Comix