Halloween Havoc: The Bride

Discuss "Metrobay Comix" and other stories with Doctor Robo!

Re: Halloween Havoc: The Bride

Postby mns_95125 » December 5th, 2010, 7:36 pm

dumbtime wrote: Gothikka has created her subjects the way they should be - secretively. No one, not even the heroines themselves, knows what's been done or realizes that they have been turned in worshipful pets. Besides the fact of the subtle realizations happening, I doubt they will be able to tell they have undergone the transformation already or know that something was done to them. To me, that is true mind control at the max.

I second Dumbtime's point here -- it touches on something that bothers me a bit about a number of the villains. Oftentimes their failure to cover their tracks leaves me wondering "What are they thinking?!?" For example, in Body Image, Valliant Girl goes for a photo shoot at a magazine, where she is brainwashed by people who are known to work there. They proceed to send her to wreck the studio of one of their rivals. This has to be noticed, and it will be trivial to trace it back to them. Motive and opportunity, hello? I may not be a master criminal but I'm pretty sure if I committed a crime I could cover my tracks better than that. Belinda Giolla is making the same kind of mistake right now in Forbidden Fantasy. Valliant Girl and Chrissy Tanner go to the Funhouse and don't come back. Might that trigger a larger-scale investigation? And it isn't like Belinda has much in the way of concealment if Chrissy can just walk in on her like that. For someone so smart, she sure doesn't seem to think things through. (Perhaps there's something about Valliant Girl that makes villains into idiots? I mean, I can understand male villains becoming idiots in her presence -- there's two good reasons for that -- but what's Belinda's excuse?)

Lest this come across as unduly harsh, let me point out a few examples of villains whose plans seem to have been better constructed. Lance Hardwood from Club Pump is one. He had a clear plan beyond merely getting a bunch of women under his control. He covered his tracks well, and he had a fallback when his original plans went awry -- which they only did due to an unknown limitation on his control method. The guy (whose name eludes me) who runs Headlights is cut from a similar mold. Subvert and exploit. Ringmistress is also very good on this front. She clearly puts a great deal of thought into not being caught, so much so that her current actions in The Resort Tales are motivated explicitly by that.

Keeping the balance is a tricky thing. Ultimately we're all here because we want to see the villains reduce the heroines into mind-controlled puppets of one form or another. If they ever win completely, the story ends, and that's no fun; conversely, if they ever lose completely they go to jail and the story also ends, and that's also no fun. The art is in making the villains competent enough that we can believe they never get shut down completely, but still have them make believable mistakes that allow their plans to be thwarted most of the time.
mns_95125

Re: Halloween Havoc: The Bride

Postby Trishbot » December 5th, 2010, 11:36 pm

mns_95125 wrote:I second Dumbtime's point here -- it touches on something that bothers me a bit about a number of the villains. Oftentimes their failure to cover their tracks leaves me wondering "What are they thinking?!?" For example, in Body Image, Valliant Girl goes for a photo shoot at a magazine, where she is brainwashed by people who are known to work there. They proceed to send her to wreck the studio of one of their rivals. This has to be noticed, and it will be trivial to trace it back to them. Motive and opportunity, hello? I may not be a master criminal but I'm pretty sure if I committed a crime I could cover my tracks better than that. Belinda Giolla is making the same kind of mistake right now in Forbidden Fantasy. Valliant Girl and Chrissy Tanner go to the Funhouse and don't come back. Might that trigger a larger-scale investigation? And it isn't like Belinda has much in the way of concealment if Chrissy can just walk in on her like that. For someone so smart, she sure doesn't seem to think things through. (Perhaps there's something about Valliant Girl that makes villains into idiots? I mean, I can understand male villains becoming idiots in her presence -- there's two good reasons for that -- but what's Belinda's excuse?)

Well, I can't speak for Belinda in Forbidden Fantasy, but whose to say she won't command Valient Grrl to "act" normal around the Superheroine Squad like Vic Reno tells Brown Sugar or Lance Hardwood tells DareDoll to do? We don't ultimately know what Belinda is going to do, or what excuses Crissy will make. Crissy could very easily say that Valient Grrl was kidnapped by an escaping supervillain, so they look for her on a wild goose chase while poor Kristen stays nice and safe at the prison kissing Belinda's feet. If Bluebird and Sparrow could disappear, one being a prominent District Attorney and the other being a recognizable TV journalist and reporter, having Valient Grrl disappear shouldn't be too hard for Belinda to pull off.

As for what the villains do in "Body Image", believe it or not there is an extremely good reason why they did what they did and why they won't get caught. That's a story with a conspiracy that hasn't quite been revealed yet, but their motives will start to make more sense in about three chapters (the next two chapter's are pretty much all sex... hope people are okay with that. ;) )

Also, concerning the "hypnotic" properties of Valient Grrl, not just guys are turned on by her. Remember, she won the affection of the Squad captain herself, Alpha Woman, Belinda has lusted for her plenty (she even "prefers" women over men), and she's been driving Hypnotica wild in both stories the two appear together in. Poor Kristen just has that effect on most people, male or female, I guess. ;)

... and tying that into the topic, anyone else think Valient Grrl would make one hot Zom-Babe for Gothikka to play with? :D
Trishbot

Previous

Return to Doctor Robo