Grime City Stories: An Acquired Taste

Discuss "Metrobay Comix" and other stories with Doctor Robo!

Re: Grime City Stories: An Acquired Taste

Postby fools_page » July 26th, 2012, 11:05 pm

Doctor Robo wrote:@fools_page: You may be the first person to tell me that MONA is one of your favorite characters. Interesting. Any particular reason why?

- Doc

Robofetishism notwithstanding, it's a combination of two things.

The first, as has been mentioned above, is her abysmal bad luck, which has engendered sympathy. This is certainly not singular among the residents of Metrobay, who are kidnapped, brainwashed, and otherwise abused on a regular basis, but what is noteworthy is how MONA's problems have largely been ignored. Her circuits get fried by TORI? she's left on a slab. She receives expert training in how to please Petto? she's is immediately replaced by a more advanced model. In this story, she is left to look out for the store while Petto and TORI enjoy themselves, and she gets seduced, then mindfried. Essentially, every instance in which she is presented, she gets the short end of the stick.

Again, this is not particularly unique in Metrobay, but it is a factor, and it becomes important in combination with the subtle hints you as the author have presented that there's actually a personality forming beneath her emotionless exterior. In Panel 204 of "Lonely Man," it is shown that without instructions she nonetheless dressed Petto while he was sleeping. It suggests she feels something for her creator. LISA thinks, "Curious . . . MONA must have dressed him in his sleepwear before she left him. Perhaps she is capable of independent thought after all . . ." Later, in the same story, after she reboots following TORI's sexplay, her first thoughts are to rejoin Petto, and when she sees him with TORI in Panel 225 the question mark and ellipses in her thought bubble suggest hurt that she has been replaced. The narrator's comments in that same panel likewise suggest an independence of thought that no one, with the possible exception of LISA, has noticed.

In the current story, in Panel 57, she says to Noctrissa, "Please elaborate. Have I not served you well?" Again, this suggests hurt, hurt that in this case she hasn't been completely pleasing; and if she can be hurt, then she has a personality, which, again, no one seems to have noticed (though Noctrissa does express a smidgen of sympathy, again hinting that people sense something about MONA but cannot consciously express what it is). Her development parallels LISA's in the stories she is featured in: LISA likewise started off as almost entirely machine minded, but over time she has developed a definite personality (she is certainly the one in charge of her relationship with Ted, despite she being his sex slave). MONA has been going through the same process of personality building, albeit behind the scenes.

Short answer, put it down to good characterization on your part.

fools_page
fools_page

Postby bluemax2 » August 5th, 2012, 11:51 pm

Doc and Mctek
Any news on rather latest installment?

By the way have you thought of eventually (or sooner) having Noctrissa and her fellow current partner in crime, the silver haired lass, get converted to juicy greybots like Shawna just was? It would be a most delicious twist.

Keep up the great work.
There can never be too many greybots, I always say.

Regards,

Bluemax
bluemax2

Postby Doctor Robo » August 6th, 2012, 3:28 am

From Metrobay Comix, Doctor Robo and MCtek are proud to present chapter six of “Grime City Stories: An Acquired Taste” – exclusively at MCcomix.com!

http://www.mccomix.com/gallery2/main.ph ... emId=51525

RollerGrrl and DareDoll are two of the fastest superheroines in Metrobay, and there is no villain they can’t chase down – perhaps until now. Meet Goldrush, who’s as fast as she is devious, and rumor has it she’s working for A.C. Quire. That’s quite the fiendish collaboration!

Meanwhile, MONA is still laying on Gilbert Petto’s toy store floor, having had her mind wiped by Franbot. How will Gilbert react when he finds his lovely servant in such a terrible condition?

http://www.mccomix.com/members/gallery2 ... _itemId=22

For more information on Metrobay Comix and MCcomix.com, visit our Metrobay Encyclopedia wiki at http://metrobay.wetpaint.com/ or our deviantART page at http://metrobay-comix.deviantart.com/.
Doctor Robo

Postby tomcat » August 6th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Since the day of "MCComix Present's" sudden disappearance and cancelling the Club Pump's follow-up, I was wishing for a proper return of Shadow Rider, who is one of my favourites. Now it looks like I may get at least something :) *yay* ...I mean, she have to (try to) rescue her partner, in the next issue, right? *prays*
tomcat

Postby Doctor Robo » August 8th, 2012, 6:41 pm

tomcat wrote:Since the day of "MCComix Present's" sudden disappearance and cancelling the Club Pump's follow-up, I was wishing for a proper return of Shadow Rider, who is one of my favourites. Now it looks like I may get at least something :) *yay* ...I mean, she have to (try to) rescue her partner, in the next issue, right? *prays*

In the next issue? No. But will she make an appearance before the end of the story? That's much more likely... :)

- Doc
Doctor Robo

Postby Hector2 » August 19th, 2012, 9:32 am

Dear Doctor Robo and McTek:

And Acquired Taste # 6 slowly but surely is building into something great: Instead of focusing in few characters, you’re touching so much characters (that given the slow production of a regular comic, are criminally underused) that really deserve a little spotlight. That, and the situations are really exploiting all the clichés of superheroes comic books, a trait that I love about McTek’s work.

Page 60: I knew it! I always knew that TORI, now TROPHY, would cause a heart attack! Fortunately (at least for him) it was not Gilbert Petto the victim. However, I cannot forget that those beautiful robots must invoke “The Uncanny Valley”, that phenomena where humans react with fear to something that resembles another human a lot, but there are still differences: those entirely blue eyes, for example. However, if there is something that would walk a street with something that uncharitably can be considered as a programmable sex toy, that is Gilbert Petto.
Page 61 and 62: Those two pages suggest a lot more than poor MONA’s misadventure. This reminds me of Asimov’s works, where the robots were victims of… hate and ignorance (racism?) by humans… I think that this aspect of the story should be explored… I’m sure that a lot of people would react badly to robots that are made to the satisfaction of sexual urges… that, and the Uncanny Valley, could explain that robots were attacked… or at least, people like Petto and Ted were seeing as perverted people or losers who cannot get a “real” human.

Page 63 and 64: Only seeing this page I could understand Quire’s true genius: He is not collecting heroines nor sexual slaves. He is collecting a team of specifically talented people to some goal he wants to achieve. That all those people are gorgeous must be a bonus. I think this is one of the best takes in the “collector” character I have seen.
Page 65 to 71: A great take on the “chase”, the “obvious trap” and the classic “Look behind you” clichés! And revisiting Gold Rush, Rollergrrl and Daredoll is always great!
First of all: I love Gold Rush’s smugness, the great quality of a villain who knows everything is going according to her plan, like Madam Minx or Babydoll.

Then I notice that Rollergrrrl and Daredoll’s costumes are… very revealing! Could this be the consequence from their adventure at Club Pump? That would be great continuity! And of course, to see if Daredoll’s assignment as the mole has been carried on would be great!

A little bit, even when the word “Culo” could be appropriate to that expression, in Spanish certainly “Infierno” means hell, but it would sound silly in Spanish. (I think the word “diablos” would be better). Of course, could be that McTek is trying to make fun of this convention of “foreign” characters talking English in a correct fashion except in a few, recognizable “native” words.

And last but no least. A.C. Quire manages to do something badass! Being a former world rifle champion is impressive, maybe he could begin his collection mania by being a Great White Hunter? I’m sure that is another angle worth exploring, because capturing a heroine with darts is one of my favorite fetishes.

A great work! I hope I can post this in time so you can comment back! Thanks!
Hector2

Postby Doctor Robo » August 19th, 2012, 3:39 pm

From Metrobay Comix, Doctor Robo and MCtek are proud to present chapter seven of “Grime City Stories: An Acquired Taste” – exclusively at MCcomix.com!

The fiendish villain A.C. Quire has resorted to dastardly tactics to capture two of Metrobay’s finest heroines, DareDoll and RollerGrrl! Now he’s taking them back to his museum, where his minions are hard at work on a secret project. So what sort of surprise does A.C. have in store for his captive cuties?

http://www.mccomix.com/members/gallery2 ... _itemId=22

For more information on Metrobay Comix and MCcomix.com, visit our Metrobay Encyclopedia wiki at http://metrobay.wetpaint.com/ or our deviantART page at http://metrobay-comix.deviantart.com/.
Doctor Robo

Postby Doctor Robo » August 19th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Hector2 wrote:Dear Doctor Robo and McTek:

And Acquired Taste # 6 slowly but surely is building into something great: Instead of focusing in few characters, you’re touching so much characters (that given the slow production of a regular comic, are criminally underused) that really deserve a little spotlight. That, and the situations are really exploiting all the clichés of superheroes comic books, a trait that I love about McTek’s work.

Hi Hector. Thanks for the kind words!

You're right about TORI. I figured that the sight of seeing a flawless sexbot nonchalantly stripping down to try on some new clothes would be a shocker to some poor unsuspecting citizen. I hope that guy will be ok! :)

There's a lot we could discuss about the idea that some of these robots are now roaming around Metrobay like 'normal' people. Do average citizens even realize what they really are? I mean WE do, but we know what they are already. Would John Q. Public even entertain the idea that sentient robots exist? Or are they now commonplace in Metrobay? I'm not sure yet. What do you think?

I'm glad you liked the chase scene. Thanks to Finister Foul for letting us borrow Goldrush for a while!

Chalk up the Spanish language faux pas to a gringo like me using Babelfish for my translations. I just figured that a bilingual like RollerGrrl would mix in a little Spanish once in a while, especially under duress. I apologize if I used some words and phrases incorrectly.

Yes, we've been thinking that A.C. is a modern day safari hunter, but his game is superheroines instead of wild beasts. I wonder who he'll go after next...

- Doc
Doctor Robo

Postby leto17 » August 19th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Hello.

Hector's right.

And I want me a Frandroid!

I also love this decadent old money villian...surely a worthy rival for Max..he's even got an acronym for a name :)

And somehow, the women seem even hotter and sexier than usual.

And I'm glad to see Rollergrrl again
leto17

Postby Sumatra » August 20th, 2012, 10:41 pm

Agree with the great white hunter reference, scene with the elephant gun shooting darts was fucking amazing.

Almost hoped he'd show up in a safari outfit.

There a reason why Cyberstar acts different than Noctrissa? She seems normal.

Whole Frandroid process was hot.

-Sumatra
Sumatra

Postby msgrey » August 21st, 2012, 11:15 am

Hello Doctor Robo! I have some comments on "An Acquired Taste":

i think A.C. Quire is a very interesting character! he is not like Max Indeks at all,much more selfish, and careless. Maybe this will be his downfall no?

the first few issue are slow indeed, but it build up to this last ones. Frandroid would not be possible if he had not recruited cyberstar and Franbot of course!

Frandroid, its a genius name ;) !

i hope we see more of the heros made into droids but it raises the question, what is A.C. doing with them??
msgrey

Postby Hector2 » August 21st, 2012, 5:51 pm

Hi there Doc!

I have some comments for you and the other posts:

@Doc:

Well, the problem seems to be that in other stories, everyone is aware of clones and there are even laws against them… so, in a city like Metrobay, the possibility of human robots wouldn’t seem so outrageous.

But something being possible doesn’t mean it’s probable, so what happens when someone seems a robot? Well, MECHANA always strike to me as the only robot that could pass as human, but this is more because her (its) appearance than his conduct. Later models advance more than her (she is pretty content to be a robot, LISA looks to imitate humans just to understand them, MONA and TROPHY understand humans a little more, you could place that in the technology advancement…

However, their exterior human is the thing I think must denounce them as robots immediately: Their skin color is not human, their eyes are completely one color, their posture is perfectly erect. That is the “Uncanny valley” effect: They look like a zombie or someone very sick or dangerous. In other words: Someone not human, someone who is not one of us. However, I remember that in their introductory story, LISA managed to interact with the West sisters without problems…

So, I think any Metrobay Citizen could recognize a robot (unless they think she has a skin condition and bring it on is impolite or something) and they have the framework to believe in one.

@Leto17: Of course I coincide with you Leto, I am right! But could you specify exactly what I am right about? ;) Also, I think any villain with an acronym for name deserves everything!

@ Sumatra: I support the idea of the Safari Outfit, I imagine Quire like that guy at the “Jumanji” movie, a kick ass safari uniform.

@MsGrey: I have some doubts, when you mention:

i think A.C. Quire is a very interesting character! he is not like Max Indeks at all,much more selfish, and careless. Maybe this will be his downfall no?

Are you referring to Max or to A.C. Quire when you mention he is more selfish and careles? Even when my mind boogles when I think of someone more selfish than Max.

Frandroid is a genius name

Heck yes! it is!

i hope we see more of the heros made into droids but it raises the question, what is A.C. doing with them??

Yes, that is the great question: This plan could be the truly difference between another villain of the run or a great supervillain capable of defy Indek’s rule. A robot capable of replacing someone could be a true menace in an unsuspecting city (remember Bionic Woman’s fembots or Wonder Woman Androids?

I really hope A.C. Quire could be a memorable villain!
Hector2

Postby Ghosthand » August 23rd, 2012, 10:21 am

I think it's pretty clear that A.C is planning on replacing the heroines with robotic doubles. whether it works or not is not really what I'm interested in, it's what does he plan to do with the real ones? If I had a vote I would say brainwash them into criminals or common street whores. :twisted: I think it would be great to see one of the brainwashed heroines getting busted for commiting a crime or prostitution by their own robotic double!
Ghosthand

Postby Champ » August 23rd, 2012, 3:42 pm

Ghosthand wrote:I think it's pretty clear that A.C is planning on replacing the heroines with robotic doubles. whether it works or not is not really what I'm interested in, it's what does he plan to do with the real ones? If I had a vote I would say brainwash them into criminals or common street whores. :twisted: I think it would be great to see one of the brainwashed heroines getting busted for commiting a crime or prostitution by their own robotic double!

That would be fun. All the remaining heroines would be wondering...WTF????...as they are called to capture or investigate!
Champ

Postby MacroLass » August 23rd, 2012, 5:56 pm

Champ wrote:
Ghosthand wrote:I think it's pretty clear that A.C is planning on replacing the heroines with robotic doubles. whether it works or not is not really what I'm interested in, it's what does he plan to do with the real ones? If I had a vote I would say brainwash them into criminals or common street whores. :twisted: I think it would be great to see one of the brainwashed heroines getting busted for commiting a crime or prostitution by their own robotic double!

That would be fun. All the remaining heroines would be wondering...WTF????...as they are called to capture or investigate!

If it hadn't already been done in MCTek's Prized Displays I would have thought that he was starting a superheroine collection. Seemed appropriate for a collector of things. I think the key lies with the duplicates. Both Rollergrrl and Daredoll get their powers from OBJECTS which means that dolls based on them could possibly have the powers of the originals.
MacroLass

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Robo