Grime City Stories: An Acquired Taste

Discuss "Metrobay Comix" and other stories with Doctor Robo!

Re: Grime City Stories: An Acquired Taste

Postby Tecknophyle » May 28th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Doctor Robo wrote:I don't even like to use the word 'cyborgs' to describe the Graybots, because in my mind a cyborg has technology implanted within, which these Graybots do not. The only thing inside their bodies is a dose of Thrallium, and perhaps a rogue nanoprobe or two, which is why you see their eyes turn green upon enslavement and conversion.

One definition used for "cyborg" is someone intimately connected with active technology where the technology and the body provide feedback to one another. Pretty much by definition, even if the nanotech is external, that counts.

And I think you forgot something. Clearly they've been modified to receive and transmit EM signals (how else are they receiving commands?) which implies internal technology. Which is the standard accepted definition of a cyborg.
Tecknophyle

Postby Ghosthand » May 28th, 2012, 11:31 pm

Tecknophyle wrote:
Doctor Robo wrote:I don't even like to use the word 'cyborgs' to describe the Graybots, because in my mind a cyborg has technology implanted within, which these Graybots do not. The only thing inside their bodies is a dose of Thrallium, and perhaps a rogue nanoprobe or two, which is why you see their eyes turn green upon enslavement and conversion.

One definition used for "cyborg" is someone intimately connected with active technology where the technology and the body provide feedback to one another. Pretty much by definition, even if the nanotech is external, that counts.

And I think you forgot something. Clearly they've been modified to receive and transmit EM signals (how else are they receiving commands?) which implies internal technology. Which is the standard accepted definition of a cyborg.

I think what Dr. Robo explained is very viable. With the nanotech covering a good portion of their body they can easily be recieving signals from the suit and control device without any internal hardware. In futuristic science these electronic signals could override the mind and place the subject into a mindless state and leave their body for the computer to control. Max, although he coppied a lot of Sentinus's greybot look in his subjects, seems to have developed tech that is less invasive. In Superheroine Squad we saw that there was intenal wiring in both the robounits and control units. I do fail to understand why it was difficult to reverse the transformation though. Just shutting down the nanotech should have released the subject, unless they were worried about the human brain not 'rebooting' once the control was removed.

One question for doc though, how do you view Chrome or the Nanodolls? Chrome has a lot more extrenal hardware, how much is internal, and the Nanodolls had built in vibrators and even a sound system for playing music.
Ghosthand

Postby Lt_Phoenix » May 29th, 2012, 1:07 am

Northern Chill wrote:
One thought on the new look of the greybots, I love the sexier outfits but I think the control gem would have looked better on their foreheads. Then it could be explained that it was a fiberoptic link so they could recieve their programming by lazer instead of wireing. Of course it could be explained that their heads are already so full of technology that they had to move their modem down to their chest to make room:) That makes you think though what the new greybots human to machine ratio is now, are they becomming more machine than human?

Hi Ghosthand,

Thought I'd jump in here and address this question. When myself and MCTek went over this change for the New Drone arc we did, we drew inspiration from Tecknophyle's postings and fiddled with a number of different looks for the "2.0" version of Franbot....gem on head and lower, more skin exposed or less, etc... I think we settled on the chest area for the thrallium gem to emphasize the gem conducting commands to all parts of the graybot body. Whether that makes them more or less human is a matter left to be explored. As you may have noticed, not all the graybots have been "upgraded" yet so it may be still in an experimental state.

Although I prefer the original 'Gray-bots', I do like the bare chest and navel look. I still prefer collar over gem as it gives a more 'controlled' and 'submissive' look'. Personally I find that the bare shoulders bit doesn't look all that natural either. I personally think it would look better if the nano-suit went all the way from the neck down to the top of the chest. Just my 2 cents of course.

A quick question about upgrades? Does the subject need to be converted back to normal before being upgraded? If so will you be showing Dani's upgrading in another storyline? I for one would love to see that. Especially if the subject is given just enough time to realize what has happened and knows whats in stall for them next.

As always, great comic guys! Looking forward to the next episode already :)
Lt_Phoenix

Postby Doctor Robo » May 29th, 2012, 7:03 pm

Ghosthand wrote:I think what Dr. Robo explained is very viable. With the nanotech covering a good portion of their body they can easily be recieving signals from the suit and control device without any internal hardware. In futuristic science these electronic signals could override the mind and place the subject into a mindless state and leave their body for the computer to control. Max, although he coppied a lot of Sentinus's greybot look in his subjects, seems to have developed tech that is less invasive. In Superheroine Squad we saw that there was intenal wiring in both the robounits and control units. I do fail to understand why it was difficult to reverse the transformation though. Just shutting down the nanotech should have released the subject, unless they were worried about the human brain not 'rebooting' once the control was removed.

I think that's exactly right. Even though the APEX Graybot suits aren't as 'invasive' as their predecessors, the minds still need a chance to recover from essentially being switched into a neutral position for so long. It's kind of like a home computer. Sure, you can just press the power button and crash it off, but you are supposed to shut it down via the start menu instead. The same goes for a Graybot's mind upon reversing the transformation. You damaging the hardware if you don't turn the 'computer' off the right way.

Ghosthand wrote:One question for doc though, how do you view Chrome or the Nanodolls? Chrome has a lot more extrenal hardware, how much is internal, and the Nanodolls had built in vibrators and even a sound system for playing music.

Chrome definitely has more going on under the hood than the Graybots. The metal plating on her body may or may not not be permanent, but that helmet is definitely hiding a lot of nasty little bits that would take some work to remove.

I don't have an answer about the nanodolls. Perhaps MCtek can offer his opinion if he gets a chance.

- Doc
Doctor Robo

Postby leto17 » May 30th, 2012, 8:31 am

I actually prefer the Collector over Max...it's hard to put my finger on, but he just seems to be less of well, for lack of a better term, a turd. :D
leto17

Postby Tecknophyle » May 30th, 2012, 9:30 am

leto17 wrote:I actually prefer the Collector over Max...it's hard to put my finger on, but he just seems to be less of well, for lack of a better term, a turd. :D

My complaint for the way Max has generally been portrayed is that he's an incompetent moron. The Hypnotica origin story was one of the few where he's shown competence and intelligence. Most of the time, though, he comes across more like Cobra Commander from the classic animated series: you wonder why in hell people on his side put up with him at all and more don't actively seek to get rid of him for their own good as an organization.

Compare him to, say, Von Ick in the currently ongoing series. He also surrounds himself with hot mind-controlled women and gets his rocks off with them, but he comes across as far more dangerous.
Tecknophyle

Postby Doctor Robo » June 3rd, 2012, 2:21 pm

Tecknophyle wrote:My complaint for the way Max has generally been portrayed is that he's an incompetent moron. The Hypnotica origin story was one of the few where he's shown competence and intelligence. Most of the time, though, he comes across more like Cobra Commander from the classic animated series: you wonder why in hell people on his side put up with him at all and more don't actively seek to get rid of him for their own good as an organization.

Compare him to, say, Von Ick in the currently ongoing series. He also surrounds himself with hot mind-controlled women and gets his rocks off with them, but he comes across as far more dangerous.

The original idea for Max was that he was a figurehead APEX executive who only cared about dressing up like a supervillain and getting his rocks off by capturing heroines. He was modeled after the goofy Batman villains from the 1960s TV show more than anything else. Over time those basic character traits have evolved, depending on who is writing him.

These days I like to think of him as a man so rich and so well connected that he thinks of himself as untouchable, by the police or the superheroines. That arrogance causes him to get sloppy and make mistakes that are beneath a man of his intelligence and stature, because he knows he'll never do any hard time for any of the crimes he has committed.

Also, his subordinates put up with him because he pays well and can get real nasty if provoked. Ask Ted, Ginger, Fran, or Shelley what happens if he feels like he has been crossed.

- Doc
Doctor Robo

Postby pelusa1ca » June 3rd, 2012, 8:37 pm

I like the way Max is portrayed...that way there are always more stories to come.

P
Supporter of MCComix and HIPcomix
pelusa1ca

Postby Lt_Phoenix » June 4th, 2012, 4:12 am

From the look of the latest cover update, this story looks like it might take an interresting turn. Looking forward to this update laready :)
Lt_Phoenix

Postby leto17 » June 20th, 2012, 10:40 pm

Von Ick is my favorite antagonist. I think he's certainly one of the most complex. And I would agree, one of the most dangerous
leto17

Postby Hector2 » June 20th, 2012, 10:58 pm

Hi there Doc Robo and Mctek!

About last comments: It’s interesting to hear about this. If, as Tecknophyle says, the external nanotech technology of the greybots make them cyborgs, are they more or less advanced that the Nanodolls made for RingMisstress? McTek’s opinion would be enlightening!

About Max’s character, well, he is a bastard, but he also has enough common sense to know that while he “plays” with heroines without doing something that alters the Status Quo (like Von Ick would do). I think he has not redeeming qualities, but someone so cruel with reasons so petty is always interesting to read (at least you know he cannot do horrible things to you!).

What I loved about this issue was Patel recognizing that everyone and his brother can come into APEX’s lab and borrow anything, almost without provocation. It seems that the next issue would bring some doom to Patel (certainly, she should have seen that coming) ;)

Great job!
Hector2

Postby Doctor Robo » June 23rd, 2012, 10:27 pm

From Metrobay Comix, Doctor Robo and MCtek are proud to present chapter four of our latest series – “Grime City Stories: An Acquired Taste” – exclusively at MCcomix.com!

http://www.mccomix.com/gallery2/main.ph ... emId=48183

A.C. Quire has invaded APEX Labs, and is getting his first face-to-face meeting with Leela Patel and the urban legends known as the “Graybots”. But his departure leaves an unexpected opening in the Graybot ranks, an opening that their secret controller is determined to fill…

http://www.mccomix.com/members/gallery2 ... _itemId=22

For more information on Metrobay Comix and MCcomix.com, visit our Metrobay Encyclopedia wiki at http://metrobay.wetpaint.com/ or our deviantART page at http://metrobay-comix.deviantart.com/.
Doctor Robo

Postby leto17 » June 24th, 2012, 2:38 pm

Ah, the plot thickens! A question is answered, but new ones are opened up. Loved the carrying scene and the new graybot. Can't get enough of Franbot, either!
leto17

Postby MacroLass » June 25th, 2012, 8:00 am

Though obviously in addition to increasing their strength the greybot process also immunizes them from the forces of gravity... <chuckle>

Not that anyone in Metrobay seems to have problems with it at any other time. ;)

PS: I'm just being a jerk, I know that's mostly a limitation of Poser.
MacroLass

Postby leto17 » June 25th, 2012, 9:14 am

Perhaps it depends on one's gendered perspective as to whether defying the laws of physics in the realm of anatomical characteristics is truly a limitation of Poser or a feature ;)
leto17

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Robo